Thursday, August 18, 2011

I Stayed Alive When Everything Died


A Letter from My Brother Andrey



When I was only six months old, father left us. It was difficult for mom to bring up two children alone. In angst, she turned to drink. I grew up with brother and most of the time we grew up on the streets. When I was young, I fought almost everybody in school and remember breaking a boys nose. At this time, mother was with a new man. They were in a motorcycle accident and mother lost her leg. She struggled and felt worse at the reality of no husband, no money, and no leg.  But she did not give up. In this time, we wanted everything but sometimes we had nothing. Me and brother learned how to steal so we could bring food home. When I was thirteen years old, we left home and went to Moscow so we could steal more. Many things happened during that year. Mom was now with Anatoliy, your father. Our uncle was sent to prison and in the house there was fighting. After Uncle was released he died.  Then you were born and I gave up school to help raise you. Brother and I stole a lot and everything. One day, I was scared and told brother I will not steal again. So brother went without me. He was caught and imprisoned. While he was sitting in jail, mom was deprived of her rights for you and you were sent to an orphanage. Our grandmother first died and then mom died right before my eyes. I was in shock at all that happened. I was going to run but Aunt took me to her home. I began to go to school again but not for very long. I spent two years with my father but he kicked me out and I did not understand why. Then I lived with brother and then another. I served in the army for two years and afterwards, I became a professional in construction. And now I have everything well. Now I have you.

No comments:

Post a Comment