Thursday, August 25, 2011

Elana Dear

One day after walking home from the local food store, my Aunt and I decided to go sit in the courtyard. It was a perfect evening to be sitting in the wind. My Aunt began to introduce me to some of her neighbors and smoking buddies. Mixed within the group, I found an older lady. Her name was Elana and she was 85 years old. We did not talk much but she was kind enough to share her bread with me. Spending the afternoon together really touched my heart. We had become good friends that day even in the silent moments we shared. After I left Russia, I could not forget her and thought about her for a long time. She had become someone special to me. I remember how she was smaller than me. Her bones were visible but her mind was strong. I noticed how her clothes fit but they were old enough to fall off her. She did not seem to have much left to live for, but she appeared happy and at peace. Elana made me wonder why some live long and others die young. Why had she survived and my own had not? 

No comments:

Post a Comment